I'm interested in adding some storage in the attic. Problem is I have 2X4 joists at 24" OC. At about the midpoint if each joist is a vertical 2X4 that branched out as it goes toward and meets the roof...perhaps called a king post?
I've done a lot of reading advising against adding storage above 2X4 joist, but I really only intend to use if for light storage. The area is about 17' X 17'.
If I were to stack two 2X2 on top of each other that run perpendicular to the joists, wouldn't this do a good job in spreading out the footprint of the dead load above? At the end, I would over run the last joist by about 4' to spread the load past the decking material. In addition to spreading the load, this plan would also give me more room for insulation below the decking material.
I'm sure smarter people than I have already gave this a lot of thought, but I just had to ask.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
I was just commenting on another page that's important to spread the weight as much as possible. What you can do is to get a form of "flooring" or panelling so that you can rest more items on the joists. It'll also help to greatly increase your floor space in the storage area above. Good luck with the work and update us on what you're intending to do!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps