I'm interested in adding some storage in the attic. Problem is I have 2X4 joists at 24" OC. At about the midpoint if each joist is a vertical 2X4 that branched out as it goes toward and meets the roof...perhaps called a king post?
I've done a lot of reading advising against adding storage above 2X4 joist, but I really only intend to use if for light storage. The area is about 17' X 17'.
If I were to stack two 2X2 on top of each other that run perpendicular to the joists, wouldn't this do a good job in spreading out the footprint of the dead load above? At the end, I would over run the last joist by about 4' to spread the load past the decking material. In addition to spreading the load, this plan would also give me more room for insulation below the decking material.
I'm sure smarter people than I have already gave this a lot of thought, but I just had to ask.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
I was just commenting on another page that's important to spread the weight as much as possible. What you can do is to get a form of "flooring" or panelling so that you can rest more items on the joists. It'll also help to greatly increase your floor space in the storage area above. Good luck with the work and update us on what you're intending to do!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!