I'm interested in adding some storage in the attic. Problem is I have 2X4 joists at 24" OC. At about the midpoint if each joist is a vertical 2X4 that branched out as it goes toward and meets the roof...perhaps called a king post?
I've done a lot of reading advising against adding storage above 2X4 joist, but I really only intend to use if for light storage. The area is about 17' X 17'.
If I were to stack two 2X2 on top of each other that run perpendicular to the joists, wouldn't this do a good job in spreading out the footprint of the dead load above? At the end, I would over run the last joist by about 4' to spread the load past the decking material. In addition to spreading the load, this plan would also give me more room for insulation below the decking material.
I'm sure smarter people than I have already gave this a lot of thought, but I just had to ask.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
I was just commenting on another page that's important to spread the weight as much as possible. What you can do is to get a form of "flooring" or panelling so that you can rest more items on the joists. It'll also help to greatly increase your floor space in the storage area above. Good luck with the work and update us on what you're intending to do!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight