I'm interested in adding some storage in the attic. Problem is I have 2X4 joists at 24" OC. At about the midpoint if each joist is a vertical 2X4 that branched out as it goes toward and meets the roof...perhaps called a king post?
I've done a lot of reading advising against adding storage above 2X4 joist, but I really only intend to use if for light storage. The area is about 17' X 17'.
If I were to stack two 2X2 on top of each other that run perpendicular to the joists, wouldn't this do a good job in spreading out the footprint of the dead load above? At the end, I would over run the last joist by about 4' to spread the load past the decking material. In addition to spreading the load, this plan would also give me more room for insulation below the decking material.
I'm sure smarter people than I have already gave this a lot of thought, but I just had to ask.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
I was just commenting on another page that's important to spread the weight as much as possible. What you can do is to get a form of "flooring" or panelling so that you can rest more items on the joists. It'll also help to greatly increase your floor space in the storage area above. Good luck with the work and update us on what you're intending to do!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!