I'm interested in adding some storage in the attic. Problem is I have 2X4 joists at 24" OC. At about the midpoint if each joist is a vertical 2X4 that branched out as it goes toward and meets the roof...perhaps called a king post?
I've done a lot of reading advising against adding storage above 2X4 joist, but I really only intend to use if for light storage. The area is about 17' X 17'.
If I were to stack two 2X2 on top of each other that run perpendicular to the joists, wouldn't this do a good job in spreading out the footprint of the dead load above? At the end, I would over run the last joist by about 4' to spread the load past the decking material. In addition to spreading the load, this plan would also give me more room for insulation below the decking material.
I'm sure smarter people than I have already gave this a lot of thought, but I just had to ask.
Thanks for taking the time to read and respond.
I was just commenting on another page that's important to spread the weight as much as possible. What you can do is to get a form of "flooring" or panelling so that you can rest more items on the joists. It'll also help to greatly increase your floor space in the storage area above. Good luck with the work and update us on what you're intending to do!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- Soundproof Your Home with 11 DIYs
- Set the Tone: 8 Colors for an Inviting Dining Room
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY