I think I've read just about everything I can find on crawlspaces, but I have one outstanding question that I have heard two different answers to:
The crawlspace does not have any vents, and is open to the basement through a small door. It is a dirt floor, and block walls. What I am planning on doing is putting solid foam insulation boards up on the block walls, and vapour barrier over the dirt floor. My question is, should the plastic be extended up the walls to the bottom of the floor joices as well? Also, how should the rigid insulation be attached to the block walls?
There are a couple questions I would ask yet before continueing. First having to do with the usual dampness of the crawlspace. If the crawl is wet, then I would not run the plastic clear up to the sill board/joists. I would be concerned that the humidity could be wicked up to the wood causing rot issues later. Whatever the case, I would cover the floor with plastic, but only go a few inches up the wall. Also, there are glues made especially to glue foam up to cement. Just make sure that the foam you are using is compatable with the glue.
Now that I've emptied out all the junk that the previous owner left down there, the crawlspace isn't overly damp (no standing water/mold). Since the insulation is being glued onto the concrete block walls, should the vapour barrier extend to the top of the insulation, and not come into contact with the joices above?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 67 Expert Tips to Aid Your Spring Cleaning
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight