Hi there! My husband and I inherited a weeping willow tree with our new house. We now realize how bad they are and we know we have to remove the tree very soon due to the root system and our septic. How do we go about that? The tree is fairly young. Only about 10 feet tall. Can we dig it up and move it? Should we just cut it down? Will the roots resprout if we don't dig them out? Is there something we can get to kill the roots? We want to put a better tree in its place... Can anybody help?
Unless you really want to move it somewhere else on your lot, just get out the 'ol saw and cut it down. If it's only 10 feet tall it won't be hard. As for the roots, I'd get out your shovels and dig a circle around the trunk about 3 feet in diameter. Remove the base of the tree and any roots you find. Don't worry about being too particular. If the thing does sprout a stem or two here and there, cut it off at the ground as soon as you see it, and you should be fine. No need for professional help or chemicals on this one.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes