COMMUNITY FORUM

constructionmike

08:31AM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 10/17/09
6 lifetime posts
Bvbasement
Newly renovated cottage has a problem with mold on the basement walls, and ceiling. There is no water leaking into the basement or coming up through the floors. The floors are dry, and so are the walls, and ceiling to touch. Inside and outside weeping tiles were installed with tarred outside wall but no plastic underneath the cement floor. Would Sani-Tred fix this problem before I put sub floors down? Also could this problem be caused from problem radon or another type or gas or vapor?

KingVolcano

11:55AM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 03/03/05
273 lifetime posts
At one point there had to to be water or high humidity issue in the house in order for mold to grow.

Unless you know where or how the water/moisture was introduced, Santitred may or may not help.

Radon and mold are not related.

You must kill the mold or it will continue to grow.

Questions?

constructionmike

01:19PM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 10/17/09
6 lifetime posts
The problem is humidity as it is at 90% humidity most of the time both upstairs and in the basement until I fire up the wood stove. I clear the mold from the walls constantly but because of the humidity it keeps returning. Thank you for replying so fast. Any other advice would be appreciated.

KingVolcano

01:30PM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 03/03/05
273 lifetime posts
There has to be a reason for the humidity. Where is the moisture coming from?

Are you sure the humidity is at 90%...that is insanely high. What are you using to read the humidity levels?

When you state you "clear" the mold from the walls, what do you use?

Are the walls concrete, block or stone?

constructionmike

01:52PM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 10/17/09
6 lifetime posts
It is a finished basement with a drop ceiling. The mold is heavily on the drop ceiling and on the walls. I clean it with javex and water. The humidity seems to be coming up through the floor which is poured concrete only about 2 inches thick on a clay, and mud substrate.

KingVolcano

02:24PM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 03/03/05
273 lifetime posts
In your first post you stated the floor was dry and water was not coming from the floor. So, I am confused. Did you check the moisture levels of the floor with a meter?

Ceiling tiles trap a lot of moisture and are difficult to rid of mold due to their porosity.

Is the mold on the walls on the surface, growing on the paint or the paper?

constructionmike

03:54PM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 10/17/09
6 lifetime posts
There is not water coming through the floors just a lot of humidity and that is what I do not understand either. It is only an assumption though that it is coming from the floors. If not from the floor why are the ceiling tile so moldy?? The way I have been measuring the humidity is with an electronic thermometer. The mold is just on the paint on the walls that is why it is so easy to wash off.

Is there any way I can contact you? I really appreciate your time. Thanks.

KingVolcano

05:00PM | 10/18/09
Member Since: 03/03/05
273 lifetime posts
You may reach me at kingvolcano@aol.com. I will give you my phone number.
Click_to_reply_button Inspiration_banner

INSPIRATION GALLERY



Post a reply as Anonymous

Photo must be in JPG, GIF or PNG format and less than 5MB.

Reply_choose_button

captcha
type the code from the image

Anonymous

Post_new_button or Login_button
Register

Follow_banner_a
Newsletter_icon Google_plus Facebook Twitter Pinterest Youtube Rss_icon
 
webapp2