It would help us if you could give us a little more information. For example:
* Is your home made of stone, stucco over stone brick, wood framed with siding, etc.?
* If stone or brick, do you have interior walls framed with wood?
* Is your attic finished?
* What is the structure of your roof, and what kind of shingles do you have?
* What area do you live in?
The more details you give, the better chance someone will have a good recommendation for you.
I don't really want to remove the plaster and lathe and am looking for a solution for filling the walls. One thing I'm not sure is wheather or not there are fire breaks bridging the wall studs. Probably not, but here's what I've considered so far.
1) Remove several strips of siding and drill holes to blow in wool from the outside. I would need a professional for this job. To do it from the inside would be a mess.
2) Drilling interior holes at the wall top and filling with PFC. (small styrofoam balls) The top of the wall is behind a drop ceiling so I could get to the holes and refill after a year when the material has settled.
3) Drilling several holes and injecting expanding foam. I saw the tail end of a Bob Vila show where they where either injecting or spraying some kind of expanding foam into walls and floor joists. What were they using?
I don't want to spend a lot of money and am looking for a solution that I can execute myself. Any ideas on which way to go, or have any better ideas?
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Conservatory subloor and insulation exposed to rain ...
OSB vs insulation board behind brick
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs