It would help us if you could give us a little more information. For example:
* Is your home made of stone, stucco over stone brick, wood framed with siding, etc.?
* If stone or brick, do you have interior walls framed with wood?
* Is your attic finished?
* What is the structure of your roof, and what kind of shingles do you have?
* What area do you live in?
The more details you give, the better chance someone will have a good recommendation for you.
I don't really want to remove the plaster and lathe and am looking for a solution for filling the walls. One thing I'm not sure is wheather or not there are fire breaks bridging the wall studs. Probably not, but here's what I've considered so far.
1) Remove several strips of siding and drill holes to blow in wool from the outside. I would need a professional for this job. To do it from the inside would be a mess.
2) Drilling interior holes at the wall top and filling with PFC. (small styrofoam balls) The top of the wall is behind a drop ceiling so I could get to the holes and refill after a year when the material has settled.
3) Drilling several holes and injecting expanding foam. I saw the tail end of a Bob Vila show where they where either injecting or spraying some kind of expanding foam into walls and floor joists. What were they using?
I don't want to spend a lot of money and am looking for a solution that I can execute myself. Any ideas on which way to go, or have any better ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Fun Planters to Make with Everyday Objects
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda