It would help us if you could give us a little more information. For example:
* Is your home made of stone, stucco over stone brick, wood framed with siding, etc.?
* If stone or brick, do you have interior walls framed with wood?
* Is your attic finished?
* What is the structure of your roof, and what kind of shingles do you have?
* What area do you live in?
The more details you give, the better chance someone will have a good recommendation for you.
I don't really want to remove the plaster and lathe and am looking for a solution for filling the walls. One thing I'm not sure is wheather or not there are fire breaks bridging the wall studs. Probably not, but here's what I've considered so far.
1) Remove several strips of siding and drill holes to blow in wool from the outside. I would need a professional for this job. To do it from the inside would be a mess.
2) Drilling interior holes at the wall top and filling with PFC. (small styrofoam balls) The top of the wall is behind a drop ceiling so I could get to the holes and refill after a year when the material has settled.
3) Drilling several holes and injecting expanding foam. I saw the tail end of a Bob Vila show where they where either injecting or spraying some kind of expanding foam into walls and floor joists. What were they using?
I don't want to spend a lot of money and am looking for a solution that I can execute myself. Any ideas on which way to go, or have any better ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?