We are first time home owners and we bought a ranch style home that was built in 1963. Our problem is that the bathroom and kitchen floor is VERY cold. If the floor isn't carpeted, then it is cold! The openings to our crawlspace are not open. Is it possible to insulate and how do you do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If your crawlspace is accessable, 1/place a vapor barrier over as much of the ground as you can(a 6-mil poly works fine); 2/ Seal the vents air-tight; 3/ Insulate the foundation walls (Foam board insulation works good); 4/ make sure the box-sill (ends of the floor joists) are insulated (R-19 fiberglass is fine); 5/ include the crawlspace in your heating (your floor will only be as warm as your crawlspace is).
If you're not sure what to look for, ask someone you know to look in the crawl space and see if there is any insulation under the floor. If there is none, that's a good place to start. Rolled fiberglass insulation is not too expensive, but can be an effort to install - dirty overhead work. It's worth it, however.
New Home is COLD!
polyurethane sealer and adhesive for hardwood floors
cold air return in the basement
Hot water pressure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes