We are first time home owners and we bought a ranch style home that was built in 1963. Our problem is that the bathroom and kitchen floor is VERY cold. If the floor isn't carpeted, then it is cold! The openings to our crawlspace are not open. Is it possible to insulate and how do you do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If your crawlspace is accessable, 1/place a vapor barrier over as much of the ground as you can(a 6-mil poly works fine); 2/ Seal the vents air-tight; 3/ Insulate the foundation walls (Foam board insulation works good); 4/ make sure the box-sill (ends of the floor joists) are insulated (R-19 fiberglass is fine); 5/ include the crawlspace in your heating (your floor will only be as warm as your crawlspace is).
If you're not sure what to look for, ask someone you know to look in the crawl space and see if there is any insulation under the floor. If there is none, that's a good place to start. Rolled fiberglass insulation is not too expensive, but can be an effort to install - dirty overhead work. It's worth it, however.
New Home is COLD!
polyurethane sealer and adhesive for hardwood floors
cold air return in the basement
Hot water pressure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees