We are first time home owners and we bought a ranch style home that was built in 1963. Our problem is that the bathroom and kitchen floor is VERY cold. If the floor isn't carpeted, then it is cold! The openings to our crawlspace are not open. Is it possible to insulate and how do you do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If your crawlspace is accessable, 1/place a vapor barrier over as much of the ground as you can(a 6-mil poly works fine); 2/ Seal the vents air-tight; 3/ Insulate the foundation walls (Foam board insulation works good); 4/ make sure the box-sill (ends of the floor joists) are insulated (R-19 fiberglass is fine); 5/ include the crawlspace in your heating (your floor will only be as warm as your crawlspace is).
If you're not sure what to look for, ask someone you know to look in the crawl space and see if there is any insulation under the floor. If there is none, that's a good place to start. Rolled fiberglass insulation is not too expensive, but can be an effort to install - dirty overhead work. It's worth it, however.
New Home is COLD!
polyurethane sealer and adhesive for hardwood floors
cold air return in the basement
Hot water pressure.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight