We are first time home owners and we bought a ranch style home that was built in 1963. Our problem is that the bathroom and kitchen floor is VERY cold. If the floor isn't carpeted, then it is cold! The openings to our crawlspace are not open. Is it possible to insulate and how do you do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If your crawlspace is accessable, 1/place a vapor barrier over as much of the ground as you can(a 6-mil poly works fine); 2/ Seal the vents air-tight; 3/ Insulate the foundation walls (Foam board insulation works good); 4/ make sure the box-sill (ends of the floor joists) are insulated (R-19 fiberglass is fine); 5/ include the crawlspace in your heating (your floor will only be as warm as your crawlspace is).
If you're not sure what to look for, ask someone you know to look in the crawl space and see if there is any insulation under the floor. If there is none, that's a good place to start. Rolled fiberglass insulation is not too expensive, but can be an effort to install - dirty overhead work. It's worth it, however.
New Home is COLD!
polyurethane sealer and adhesive for hardwood floors
cold air return in the basement
Hot water pressure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY