We are first time home owners and we bought a ranch style home that was built in 1963. Our problem is that the bathroom and kitchen floor is VERY cold. If the floor isn't carpeted, then it is cold! The openings to our crawlspace are not open. Is it possible to insulate and how do you do it? Any advice is greatly appreciated!
If your crawlspace is accessable, 1/place a vapor barrier over as much of the ground as you can(a 6-mil poly works fine); 2/ Seal the vents air-tight; 3/ Insulate the foundation walls (Foam board insulation works good); 4/ make sure the box-sill (ends of the floor joists) are insulated (R-19 fiberglass is fine); 5/ include the crawlspace in your heating (your floor will only be as warm as your crawlspace is).
If you're not sure what to look for, ask someone you know to look in the crawl space and see if there is any insulation under the floor. If there is none, that's a good place to start. Rolled fiberglass insulation is not too expensive, but can be an effort to install - dirty overhead work. It's worth it, however.
New Home is COLD!
polyurethane sealer and adhesive for hardwood floors
cold air return in the basement
Hot water pressure.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs