I'm currently building a new home. Last winter I went to a Home Show and was introduced to Icynene. The two big selling points for Icynene was the ability to use a smaller BTU furnace and the inability for air, (and the moisture it carries), to pass thru the wall cavity. I'd like to here any good news or horror stories for NEW construction projects. It sounds good but I'm not sure it's been tested long enough. This is one of those decisions you can't change later.
Well I have one horror story about it, the cost! I am currently putting my new house insulation job out to bid, and I too liked Icennyene (whatever), It is without a doubt the most high tech, high performance product I've seen. Problem is my colonial came in at $17,500 !, to give you an example, several conventional firms gave me an average bid of $4000 for fiberglass batts. I read another post on here saying it is about three time as much, but my own experience says it is over 4 times as much. I did get the sell about how much it will save me in energy bills, but with a high eff. boiler and radiant heat, it will take me a lifetime or more to get back my investment! I am leaning towards blown in wet cellulose, it to is a newer high tech product, and is more than fiberglass batts, but is still reasonable, my job is about $6000. Check out http://www.nuwool.com/ to see this stuff.
Original wall planking under lath, to keep or not keep?
Insulation Choices, what's best
Nu-wool vs BIBS
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!