I live in Houston, TX, and our house is a 1 1/2 story, 1900 sq. ft. We have 2 issues: 1 - the top floor sometimes has a hard time getting down to temperature on hot days, and 2 - high humidity is a problem throughout the house - it just doesn't feel as good as we'd like, until we turn on the a/c.
The a/c technician looked in our attic, and said we desperately need insulation up there, so I got a quote on blown celbar (cellulose).
Our downstairs has no subfloor, and no vapor barrier. The insulation under the house is very spotty - some is there, some isn't. We have little to no insulation to speak of in the walls, either (this is an old house.
With our upstairs a/c system, the condenser is outside, and the blower is in the attic. If we're trying to get the system to work less hard, my thought was to get the temperature of the attic a bit cooler, maybe with a radiant barrier. The air ducts are already insulated.
I guess my questions are:
will the insulation help keep out humidity?
Should I buy a good dehumidifier, or should I have insulation installed under the house? The insulation company came to give me a quote, and recommended blown celbar - she said it would act as a vapor barrier, as well as insulation.
Also, would the insulation in the attic result in a lower temperature in the house, or should I pursue a radiant barrier first, if at all?
Any thoughts? Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs