I live in Houston, TX, and our house is a 1 1/2 story, 1900 sq. ft. We have 2 issues: 1 - the top floor sometimes has a hard time getting down to temperature on hot days, and 2 - high humidity is a problem throughout the house - it just doesn't feel as good as we'd like, until we turn on the a/c.
The a/c technician looked in our attic, and said we desperately need insulation up there, so I got a quote on blown celbar (cellulose).
Our downstairs has no subfloor, and no vapor barrier. The insulation under the house is very spotty - some is there, some isn't. We have little to no insulation to speak of in the walls, either (this is an old house.
With our upstairs a/c system, the condenser is outside, and the blower is in the attic. If we're trying to get the system to work less hard, my thought was to get the temperature of the attic a bit cooler, maybe with a radiant barrier. The air ducts are already insulated.
I guess my questions are:
will the insulation help keep out humidity?
Should I buy a good dehumidifier, or should I have insulation installed under the house? The insulation company came to give me a quote, and recommended blown celbar - she said it would act as a vapor barrier, as well as insulation.
Also, would the insulation in the attic result in a lower temperature in the house, or should I pursue a radiant barrier first, if at all?
Any thoughts? Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps