Should I remove this garbage first or just blow insulation over the top of it?
The installation of any new insulation over top of 'bad/damaged' insulation is a bad idea. 1) you lose the R-value. 2) You won't be able to install the PROPER R-value. 3) The installation will be uneven.
Go w/your gut feeling which is to remove the old insulation. If you don't have a Pro do this, make sure you wear the proper clothing and masking to do the job safely.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: It's hard to say if blown insulation is what you should do. Consider cost as well as longevity. If the attic gets wet, blown insulation could lose its R-value rather quickly. Just make sure you consider as much as you can before you make your decision.
PPS: God Bless America!
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Wall insulation question
insulation between basement and first floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 7 Ways to Make Your New House Look Old
- 11 DIYs for A Soundproofed Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates