Should I remove this garbage first or just blow insulation over the top of it?
The installation of any new insulation over top of 'bad/damaged' insulation is a bad idea. 1) you lose the R-value. 2) You won't be able to install the PROPER R-value. 3) The installation will be uneven.
Go w/your gut feeling which is to remove the old insulation. If you don't have a Pro do this, make sure you wear the proper clothing and masking to do the job safely.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: It's hard to say if blown insulation is what you should do. Consider cost as well as longevity. If the attic gets wet, blown insulation could lose its R-value rather quickly. Just make sure you consider as much as you can before you make your decision.
PPS: God Bless America!
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Wall insulation question
insulation between basement and first floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs