Should I remove this garbage first or just blow insulation over the top of it?
The installation of any new insulation over top of 'bad/damaged' insulation is a bad idea. 1) you lose the R-value. 2) You won't be able to install the PROPER R-value. 3) The installation will be uneven.
Go w/your gut feeling which is to remove the old insulation. If you don't have a Pro do this, make sure you wear the proper clothing and masking to do the job safely.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: It's hard to say if blown insulation is what you should do. Consider cost as well as longevity. If the attic gets wet, blown insulation could lose its R-value rather quickly. Just make sure you consider as much as you can before you make your decision.
PPS: God Bless America!
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Wall insulation question
insulation between basement and first floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!