Should I remove this garbage first or just blow insulation over the top of it?
The installation of any new insulation over top of 'bad/damaged' insulation is a bad idea. 1) you lose the R-value. 2) You won't be able to install the PROPER R-value. 3) The installation will be uneven.
Go w/your gut feeling which is to remove the old insulation. If you don't have a Pro do this, make sure you wear the proper clothing and masking to do the job safely.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: It's hard to say if blown insulation is what you should do. Consider cost as well as longevity. If the attic gets wet, blown insulation could lose its R-value rather quickly. Just make sure you consider as much as you can before you make your decision.
PPS: God Bless America!
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Wall insulation question
insulation between basement and first floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps