Should I remove this garbage first or just blow insulation over the top of it?
The installation of any new insulation over top of 'bad/damaged' insulation is a bad idea. 1) you lose the R-value. 2) You won't be able to install the PROPER R-value. 3) The installation will be uneven.
Go w/your gut feeling which is to remove the old insulation. If you don't have a Pro do this, make sure you wear the proper clothing and masking to do the job safely.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: It's hard to say if blown insulation is what you should do. Consider cost as well as longevity. If the attic gets wet, blown insulation could lose its R-value rather quickly. Just make sure you consider as much as you can before you make your decision.
PPS: God Bless America!
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Wall insulation question
insulation between basement and first floor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes