Vapor Barrier Installed Under Subfloor
I tried posting this in Basements but got know reply. Thanks
You can also add a vapor barrier to the crawlspace floor, but there may already be one under the concrete.
If your house is elevated and the crawlspace is under that elevation so as to be exposed to the outdoor air, then you are fine: install the insulation between the joists, with the vapor-barrier between the insulation and the interior or your house.
However, if your crawl space is underground or if it is insulated from the outdoor air, itself, then that vapor barrier could end up trapping moisture inside the crawl space, which could condense inside the insulation and rot it out. If that is the case, then either ripping out the current barrier or leaving it in could be the proper remedy. We can't tell from here.
Take a look at some of the other recent posts for the purpose of a vapor barrier to judge for yourself. There are also relevent posts under "Basements" on this Bulletin Board.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Weekend Projects: DIY Thanksgiving Decor
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Forgiving Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- Bob Vila's Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- 10 Quick Fixes for a More Refreshing Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Cool Shipping Container Homes
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!