Vapor Barrier Installed Under Subfloor
I tried posting this in Basements but got know reply. Thanks
You can also add a vapor barrier to the crawlspace floor, but there may already be one under the concrete.
If your house is elevated and the crawlspace is under that elevation so as to be exposed to the outdoor air, then you are fine: install the insulation between the joists, with the vapor-barrier between the insulation and the interior or your house.
However, if your crawl space is underground or if it is insulated from the outdoor air, itself, then that vapor barrier could end up trapping moisture inside the crawl space, which could condense inside the insulation and rot it out. If that is the case, then either ripping out the current barrier or leaving it in could be the proper remedy. We can't tell from here.
Take a look at some of the other recent posts for the purpose of a vapor barrier to judge for yourself. There are also relevent posts under "Basements" on this Bulletin Board.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!