Mold? Insulation? HELP!!!!
Cold air holds less water vapor (lower humidity). As the warm, most air inside changes temperature inside your walls to the outdoor temperature, the excess moisture that the colder temperature cannot hold condenses inside your walls. You need a vapor barrier on the warm-in-winter side to prevent that from happening. The vapor barrier traps the higher-humidity in the warm air inside the room. The temperature "flows" through the barrier, but the water vapor cannot, so it can't thereafter condense inside your walls.
It is also possible to remove the mildew with bleach treatments before you spray the insulation in, but the most sure-fire way to eliminate the mold that might be in your walls is to rip out the walls, treat the studs, and install insulation with a proper vapor barrier.
See the other thread on mold for other things you can do to stop it.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes