Here are three easier solutions than a complete upgrade of your ventillation system. First, a dehumidifier can help eliminate your mold problems. Now that homes trap air inside, they often get more humid than the outside. Air conditioners act as dehumidifiers, but that still leaves the wintertime. A neighbor of mine had major mold problems that she could nto figure out. She borrowed my dehumidifier, and was amazed at how much moisture it constantly sucked out of the air. Her mold problems (mostly the smell) disappeared after a short while.
Second, using air filters also helps flter out impurities, which can include mold spores that germinate into mold. Even that Sharper Image Ionic Breeze silent air purifier works. Some of the Ionic Breeze units come with UV lights that kills spores more than just collecting them.
Finally, keeping your house clean also is more important than ever. I'm not trying to offend or presume your home is filthy :-); even superficially "tidy" homes can develop mold, whereas many "untidy" but clean homes have no mold troubles. Clean with disinfectants and bleach to kill mold and mold spores to prevent them from germinating and developing.
The problem is not that you aren't cleaning your electrical sockets enough, but that you might not be eliminating mold spores that roam through the air until they reach and land on a spot (like your walls and outlets) that is ideal for germinating into mold. Dehumidifying reduces the ideal conditions by eliminating the humidity mold needs to grow, and filtering and cleaning with bleach can help reduce the amount of mold spores flying around unsuspectingly in your home.
[This message has been edited by Lawrence (edited April 12, 2003).]
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!