I have a 100+ yr. old house with an attached "ell" that serves as an enterance/breezeway/1 car garage/workshop.
This "ell" is currently wide open to the rafters, un-insulated,ready for my creative imagination.
I just poured a new floor in the garage on 5-12, and am turning it into a heated, well stocked repairshop for all my iron.Above the garage which is 12'6" X 20' deep, is a loft I will use for storage of parts, paints, etc.
My point is, I would like to insulate this entire loft area measuring 20'X 24', and still use the entire footprint of it without sacrificing any headroom.
Since it's only about 7' in the middle to the ridgeline,and rough-sawn, full dimentional 2 X 4 rafters, what would be the best way to insulate between the rafters;with foam board,or should I "jump out" the rafters with 2"X3's" to get room enough for 6" of fiberglass?
Also, in terms of avoiding a "hot roof", We went over the existing asphalt shingled roof with strapping, and laid down a new metal roof last year. Will the space between the metal and shingled roof surfice as an air-space to provide air flow to avoid the "hot roof" syndrome?
I guess it's basically the same deal as wanting to insulate an attic in an old house to be used as living space...Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips