I have a 100+ yr. old house with an attached "ell" that serves as an enterance/breezeway/1 car garage/workshop.
This "ell" is currently wide open to the rafters, un-insulated,ready for my creative imagination.
I just poured a new floor in the garage on 5-12, and am turning it into a heated, well stocked repairshop for all my iron.Above the garage which is 12'6" X 20' deep, is a loft I will use for storage of parts, paints, etc.
My point is, I would like to insulate this entire loft area measuring 20'X 24', and still use the entire footprint of it without sacrificing any headroom.
Since it's only about 7' in the middle to the ridgeline,and rough-sawn, full dimentional 2 X 4 rafters, what would be the best way to insulate between the rafters;with foam board,or should I "jump out" the rafters with 2"X3's" to get room enough for 6" of fiberglass?
Also, in terms of avoiding a "hot roof", We went over the existing asphalt shingled roof with strapping, and laid down a new metal roof last year. Will the space between the metal and shingled roof surfice as an air-space to provide air flow to avoid the "hot roof" syndrome?
I guess it's basically the same deal as wanting to insulate an attic in an old house to be used as living space...Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs