I have a 100+ yr. old house with an attached "ell" that serves as an enterance/breezeway/1 car garage/workshop.
This "ell" is currently wide open to the rafters, un-insulated,ready for my creative imagination.
I just poured a new floor in the garage on 5-12, and am turning it into a heated, well stocked repairshop for all my iron.Above the garage which is 12'6" X 20' deep, is a loft I will use for storage of parts, paints, etc.
My point is, I would like to insulate this entire loft area measuring 20'X 24', and still use the entire footprint of it without sacrificing any headroom.
Since it's only about 7' in the middle to the ridgeline,and rough-sawn, full dimentional 2 X 4 rafters, what would be the best way to insulate between the rafters;with foam board,or should I "jump out" the rafters with 2"X3's" to get room enough for 6" of fiberglass?
Also, in terms of avoiding a "hot roof", We went over the existing asphalt shingled roof with strapping, and laid down a new metal roof last year. Will the space between the metal and shingled roof surfice as an air-space to provide air flow to avoid the "hot roof" syndrome?
I guess it's basically the same deal as wanting to insulate an attic in an old house to be used as living space...Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes