I have a 100+ yr. old house with an attached "ell" that serves as an enterance/breezeway/1 car garage/workshop.
This "ell" is currently wide open to the rafters, un-insulated,ready for my creative imagination.
I just poured a new floor in the garage on 5-12, and am turning it into a heated, well stocked repairshop for all my iron.Above the garage which is 12'6" X 20' deep, is a loft I will use for storage of parts, paints, etc.
My point is, I would like to insulate this entire loft area measuring 20'X 24', and still use the entire footprint of it without sacrificing any headroom.
Since it's only about 7' in the middle to the ridgeline,and rough-sawn, full dimentional 2 X 4 rafters, what would be the best way to insulate between the rafters;with foam board,or should I "jump out" the rafters with 2"X3's" to get room enough for 6" of fiberglass?
Also, in terms of avoiding a "hot roof", We went over the existing asphalt shingled roof with strapping, and laid down a new metal roof last year. Will the space between the metal and shingled roof surfice as an air-space to provide air flow to avoid the "hot roof" syndrome?
I guess it's basically the same deal as wanting to insulate an attic in an old house to be used as living space...Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects