I have a 100+ yr. old house with an attached "ell" that serves as an enterance/breezeway/1 car garage/workshop.
This "ell" is currently wide open to the rafters, un-insulated,ready for my creative imagination.
I just poured a new floor in the garage on 5-12, and am turning it into a heated, well stocked repairshop for all my iron.Above the garage which is 12'6" X 20' deep, is a loft I will use for storage of parts, paints, etc.
My point is, I would like to insulate this entire loft area measuring 20'X 24', and still use the entire footprint of it without sacrificing any headroom.
Since it's only about 7' in the middle to the ridgeline,and rough-sawn, full dimentional 2 X 4 rafters, what would be the best way to insulate between the rafters;with foam board,or should I "jump out" the rafters with 2"X3's" to get room enough for 6" of fiberglass?
Also, in terms of avoiding a "hot roof", We went over the existing asphalt shingled roof with strapping, and laid down a new metal roof last year. Will the space between the metal and shingled roof surfice as an air-space to provide air flow to avoid the "hot roof" syndrome?
I guess it's basically the same deal as wanting to insulate an attic in an old house to be used as living space...Thanks
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!