I have several recessed lights in a vaulted ceiling that have a draft when the temperature gets real cold. I know putting basic insullation might be a fire hazard, so I was wondering if there are any other alternatives?
Family Handyman magazine had an article how to build a box around the recessed lighting and then insulate around it. I don't know how big the box had to be or what it had to be made out of, but you may be able to look it up somewhere.
Yes, the 'box' is a good solution if you do not want to replace the recessed fixtures. The 'IC' class allow insulation right against the fixture. However, your draft problem would be best served with the 'IC Airtite' class that does not allow air infiltration through the fixture and allows insulation in contact with the fixture.
7ft Ceiling in high traffic Hallway-Recessed Lightin...
recessed lighting problems
switching out recessed lighting
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!