I have a 50's cinder block home. The house is very structurally sound, no cracks. There is terrible moisture damage to the windows and the home smells. The panneling over the drywall is rotted in spots.
On the exterior the blocks are only painted. On the interior they just put drywall right next to the blocks with the panneling over the drywall.
My delima is...I want to redo the inside of the house, but everyone say I must get it insulated first to stop the sweating. No one agrees how to insulate the home. Which way is the best 1) Rock the outside of the house 2) Stucco the home 3) Apply drive it to the exterior and cover with Stucco 4) Remove all of the old drywall (interior) and put up studs with insulation between the block and new drywall. 5) Blow insulation inside the blocks.
I want to Stucco the home without drive it and I want to redo the drywall no matter what. Is putting the insulation on the interior as effective as the drive it or blowing insulation inside the block. I was told that drive it would be much cheaper than trying to blow insulation inside the block.
What to do? I live in a desolate area and good information is hard to come by. This is a sound, good made home that will fix up really nice.
Thank you for your help
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!