I have an attic loft that needs to be insulated it is bare rafters.We live where the winters get to -35 degrees Celcius. My question is what is the best type of insulation to use as we are losing quite a bit of our heat.I welcome any suggestions my house was built in 1916 and the wife would like to turn the loft into a sewing room.
I am not sure there is a "Best" Insulation for your project...I too am going to insulate the attic of my 1953 built home in central Wisconsin, which currently has only 3-4 inches of rock wool. I have had several contractors come to give me estimates, and each one seemed to be particularly bound to the type of insulation they use. In addition, I have done hundreds of hours of research online, and in stores. At $4-6000 to insulate, I think the best one for me is to do it myself. One thing for sure, is each contractor that gave me an estimate, all said something to the effect that you can put as much insulation up there as you want, but if you dont seal the air leaks...it is a waste of money. I am choosing Blown cellulose because I can do it myself, home depot will give me the blower of you buy enough insulation, I like the fact that it resists air transfer better than fiberglass, so heat and cold stay better where they belong. I hope this helps.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!