I'm considering adding more insulation to my house. It's relatively new with R-14 in the crawl space and blown-in paper-like chunks in the attic.
From the postings I've read, I'm thinking I should add unfaced rolls to the crawl rolled out perpendicular to the existing batts and held up by wire, and blow in another 4-6 inches of insulation into the attic. I think I should go with rigid foam board glued to the cinder block foundation that makes up the crawl, seal the poly on the crawl floor (it's just unrolled, not secured to anything or each strip and has holes) and maybe I should put batts in the exterior walls that are not insulated in the attic (the attic is pretty large and unfinished).
I've already caulked and sealed all the windows and doors, added "insulating covers" (small piece of foam) to every outlet and switch connected to an exterior wall and used expanding foam spray in exterior walls where drainage pipes, electrical wiring or gaps between joists and ductwork exist.
Comments are what I live for...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes