I'm considering adding more insulation to my house. It's relatively new with R-14 in the crawl space and blown-in paper-like chunks in the attic.
From the postings I've read, I'm thinking I should add unfaced rolls to the crawl rolled out perpendicular to the existing batts and held up by wire, and blow in another 4-6 inches of insulation into the attic. I think I should go with rigid foam board glued to the cinder block foundation that makes up the crawl, seal the poly on the crawl floor (it's just unrolled, not secured to anything or each strip and has holes) and maybe I should put batts in the exterior walls that are not insulated in the attic (the attic is pretty large and unfinished).
I've already caulked and sealed all the windows and doors, added "insulating covers" (small piece of foam) to every outlet and switch connected to an exterior wall and used expanding foam spray in exterior walls where drainage pipes, electrical wiring or gaps between joists and ductwork exist.
Comments are what I live for...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!