I have a home built in 1928 (Four Square). This home was insulated (before I got it) with something that looks like a poly styrene (Looks like a very fine styrofoam) that has been blown in. The problem is the material shrank in the walls and now it has left gaps in the insulation and wind is coming through my walls. Found out when my powder room pipes froze. What options do I have to reinsulate the walls so I no longer have a draft throughout the house? I have knob and tube wiring and I have very little home equity to get a large amount of money together to tear down the walls and start over so I need something cost conscious. I also have plaster walls so I am also concerned about expansion and the plaster. Could that old insulation actually shrink enough in one year to cause my furnace to have trouble heating the house when it goes below zero? The furnace is only one year old and had no trouble heating the house even when it was below zero last winter but it is very slow to raise the temperature this year (Has trouble going over 63 f). The furnace is a 50-75000 btu dual stage furnace and the home is 1528 sqft plus it has a basement and an attic with r-19 on top of the floor that had rock wool under the floor.
Thanks to all who respond.
- Forum >
- HVAC >
- Old expandable foam shrank in walls now all the walls are cold and 1 year old furnace is having trou
Old expandable foam shrank in walls now all the walls are cold and 1 year old furnace is having trou
i would have a furnace tech check the furnace for proper gas flow/blockage. even with the insulation partially 'shrinking' , that furnace should bring the heat up and just run longer during heating cycles. unless there is that much wind coming through this year that it just scrubbs out the heat as compared to last year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!