I have a home built in 1928 (Four Square). This home was insulated (before I got it) with something that looks like a poly styrene (Looks like a very fine styrofoam) that has been blown in. The problem is the material shrank in the walls and now it has left gaps in the insulation and wind is coming through my walls. Found out when my powder room pipes froze. What options do I have to reinsulate the walls so I no longer have a draft throughout the house? I have knob and tube wiring and I have very little home equity to get a large amount of money together to tear down the walls and start over so I need something cost conscious. I also have plaster walls so I am also concerned about expansion and the plaster. Could that old insulation actually shrink enough in one year to cause my furnace to have trouble heating the house when it goes below zero? The furnace is only one year old and had no trouble heating the house even when it was below zero last winter but it is very slow to raise the temperature this year (Has trouble going over 63 f). The furnace is a 50-75000 btu dual stage furnace and the home is 1528 sqft plus it has a basement and an attic with r-19 on top of the floor that had rock wool under the floor.
Thanks to all who respond.
- Forum >
- HVAC >
- Old expandable foam shrank in walls now all the walls are cold and 1 year old furnace is having trou
Old expandable foam shrank in walls now all the walls are cold and 1 year old furnace is having trou
i would have a furnace tech check the furnace for proper gas flow/blockage. even with the insulation partially 'shrinking' , that furnace should bring the heat up and just run longer during heating cycles. unless there is that much wind coming through this year that it just scrubbs out the heat as compared to last year.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight