Currently have open frame cathedral ceiling with aprox 7" exposure on the beams. I think there is approx 6-8" of air space between the ceiling and roofing material, but I am not sure. I need to insulate the ceiling but I only see 2 option each with it's own problem(s):
1: Use rigid insulaton to insulate between the beams and cover that with (something). Problems- what to cover rigid with and how to attach it, cost and, near as i can tell 2" of rigid will only net about R-13.
2: Attach 2x's to beams to attach drywall to and insulate between beams with fiberglass insul. Problems- mainly, I will loose quite a bit of exposure which on the beams.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
Insulation in cathedral ceilings
Should I use have a vapor barrier with blown insulat...
Radiant floor heating- is it good??
Soffit vents and cathedral ceilings
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!