How can I fix this problem? My condominium does not have a basement. The problem bedroom is located on the first floor and one of its walls backs to the sprinkler room and a car garage of the adjacent condo. I find that between the carpeted floor and the wall, there is an open space and cold air filtrates in making the whole room very cold in winter and cold the year round. The room also has a bay window and cold air also filtrates through the gaps but I find that the main problem is because of the open space on the floor. A solution is very welcome!
It sounds as if you have a concrete floor and may have a gap between the stud plate and the concrete. This is common with slabs but can be repaired by removing the baseboard at the wall and caulking between the gypsum board and the concrete or between the base plate and the concrete. If you have carpet you may have to pull it back to do a propper job. I suggest using a polyurethane sealant such as Sonneborn's NP1 but just about any better grade caulk will work. Don't use foam.
what kind of insulation should we use behind the dry...
Conservatory subloor and insulation exposed to rain ...
OSB vs insulation board behind brick
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!