We are in the process of converting our garage into anoffice and need to insulate the attic which is above the garage. The problem is, about 6 months ago, we spent 3 days cutting a bunch of wood and nailing it in place up there so we would have more storage space. More storage space means that it's ALL storage space up there now--with MAYbe a 1/2" here or there space between those boards--not enough to have the blower nozzle go through. SO, now we have to take everything down, remove those boards, blow in the insulation and the replace the boards--hopefully we can use the same ones.
· Have you ever used one of those blower machines? are they easy to use (for a lay person such as myself and husband)? Do you have to hold the hose at the nozzle part in order to control it or can you hold the hose about 3 or feet back and still be ok (that way i was thinking we could just remove one of the boards, shove the hose in there and blow away while creeping the hose further back....
· Someone had suggested we buy carpet padding instead to use as insulation... (that way we wouldn't have to take out and replace those boards)...we would roll out 2 layers of carpet padding and then put everything on top of that--would that give us adequate insulation?
· Or, again, leave the boards as is and buy sheets of insulation and staple them to the top of the roof?
What's the best way?
Any help/comments would be appreciated!
Cathedral attic - acheive proper R rating
Blown in insulation
Need help finding best insulation for an attic loft
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs