We are in the process of converting our garage into anoffice and need to insulate the attic which is above the garage. The problem is, about 6 months ago, we spent 3 days cutting a bunch of wood and nailing it in place up there so we would have more storage space. More storage space means that it's ALL storage space up there now--with MAYbe a 1/2" here or there space between those boards--not enough to have the blower nozzle go through. SO, now we have to take everything down, remove those boards, blow in the insulation and the replace the boards--hopefully we can use the same ones.
· Have you ever used one of those blower machines? are they easy to use (for a lay person such as myself and husband)? Do you have to hold the hose at the nozzle part in order to control it or can you hold the hose about 3 or feet back and still be ok (that way i was thinking we could just remove one of the boards, shove the hose in there and blow away while creeping the hose further back....
· Someone had suggested we buy carpet padding instead to use as insulation... (that way we wouldn't have to take out and replace those boards)...we would roll out 2 layers of carpet padding and then put everything on top of that--would that give us adequate insulation?
· Or, again, leave the boards as is and buy sheets of insulation and staple them to the top of the roof?
What's the best way?
Any help/comments would be appreciated!
Cathedral attic - acheive proper R rating
Blown in insulation
Need help finding best insulation for an attic loft
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them