We are in the process of converting our garage into anoffice and need to insulate the attic which is above the garage. The problem is, about 6 months ago, we spent 3 days cutting a bunch of wood and nailing it in place up there so we would have more storage space. More storage space means that it's ALL storage space up there now--with MAYbe a 1/2" here or there space between those boards--not enough to have the blower nozzle go through. SO, now we have to take everything down, remove those boards, blow in the insulation and the replace the boards--hopefully we can use the same ones.
· Have you ever used one of those blower machines? are they easy to use (for a lay person such as myself and husband)? Do you have to hold the hose at the nozzle part in order to control it or can you hold the hose about 3 or feet back and still be ok (that way i was thinking we could just remove one of the boards, shove the hose in there and blow away while creeping the hose further back....
· Someone had suggested we buy carpet padding instead to use as insulation... (that way we wouldn't have to take out and replace those boards)...we would roll out 2 layers of carpet padding and then put everything on top of that--would that give us adequate insulation?
· Or, again, leave the boards as is and buy sheets of insulation and staple them to the top of the roof?
What's the best way?
Any help/comments would be appreciated!
Cathedral attic - acheive proper R rating
Blown in insulation
Need help finding best insulation for an attic loft
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects