My home was originally built as a summer cottage (in Virginia) and therefore has no insulation. It is also not stud wall construction so there is no air space within the wall to fill with insulation.
The exterior is log siding with a vertical post every 4 ft. This post projects out 1-3/4" further than the log siding. I would like to fill this 1-3/4" area with rigid board insulation and/or apply house sheathing over the entire surface and then put up new wood siding over it.
I have been considering either polyiso or FOAMULAR. If I use 2 layers of either of these (the 1-3/4" cavity and the sheathing) do you think I will have a moisture problem where the 2 facers of the 2 layers meet? Since both of these types of insulation are moisture resistant and since there is no vapor barrier on the interior (and no way to apply one now) I think it would be best to let the walls "breathe". Do you agree?
I don't need a perfect wall, just an improvement. I just don't want to create a moisture/mold problem. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?