My home was originally built as a summer cottage (in Virginia) and therefore has no insulation. It is also not stud wall construction so there is no air space within the wall to fill with insulation.
The exterior is log siding with a vertical post every 4 ft. This post projects out 1-3/4" further than the log siding. I would like to fill this 1-3/4" area with rigid board insulation and/or apply house sheathing over the entire surface and then put up new wood siding over it.
I have been considering either polyiso or FOAMULAR. If I use 2 layers of either of these (the 1-3/4" cavity and the sheathing) do you think I will have a moisture problem where the 2 facers of the 2 layers meet? Since both of these types of insulation are moisture resistant and since there is no vapor barrier on the interior (and no way to apply one now) I think it would be best to let the walls "breathe". Do you agree?
I don't need a perfect wall, just an improvement. I just don't want to create a moisture/mold problem. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!