My home was originally built as a summer cottage (in Virginia) and therefore has no insulation. It is also not stud wall construction so there is no air space within the wall to fill with insulation.
The exterior is log siding with a vertical post every 4 ft. This post projects out 1-3/4" further than the log siding. I would like to fill this 1-3/4" area with rigid board insulation and/or apply house sheathing over the entire surface and then put up new wood siding over it.
I have been considering either polyiso or FOAMULAR. If I use 2 layers of either of these (the 1-3/4" cavity and the sheathing) do you think I will have a moisture problem where the 2 facers of the 2 layers meet? Since both of these types of insulation are moisture resistant and since there is no vapor barrier on the interior (and no way to apply one now) I think it would be best to let the walls "breathe". Do you agree?
I don't need a perfect wall, just an improvement. I just don't want to create a moisture/mold problem. Any opinions or suggestions would be appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot Furnace Problems (Before Calling In the Pros)
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- DIY Workbenches: 5 You Can Build in a Weekend
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Knock-Your-Socks-Off Laundry Room Ideas
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- Three Ways to Find a Wall Stud (Without Fancy Equipment)
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!