i live in new england, and i'm insulating a couple of second floor bedrooms, and would appreciate any advice on my proposed plan.
where i'm insulating, there's a small knee wall, then a short section of sloped ceiling (actually the roof rafters), then a section of flat ceiling made from collar ties. instead of insulating the knee wall, i'm insulating the rafter bays from the soffit up past the collar ties, and this is where i have questions.
the rafters are only 2x6, so i had planned on installing kraft-faced R-21 fiberglass insulation in the bays (with the facing towards the living area), then attaching 2" R-10 extruded polystyrene (XPS) foam board (held in place by strapping for the drywall), and taping all foam boards with aluminum tape.
the XPS has a perm rating of 1.1 - 1.4, so i'm not considering this a vapor retarder and don't believe it should present a "double vapor retarder" problem even when combined with the kraft-facing.
i'm assuming the kraft-facing will server as the true vapor retarder. i've read elsewhere on this site that the retarder should follow the "one third, two thirds rule: the VDR has one third of the cavity insulation to its warm side, two thirds to the cold side." so i think i should be all set with the R-21 fiberglass to the cold side and the R-10 XPS to the warm side.
if there are any comments or feedback on my plan - whether to let me know i'm headed in the right direction, or am way off base - it would be much appreciated.
Radiant barrier or foam board to fix cold floor abov...
rigid foam over SOLID wood exterior walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes