i live in new england, and i'm insulating a couple of second floor bedrooms, and would appreciate any advice on my proposed plan.
where i'm insulating, there's a small knee wall, then a short section of sloped ceiling (actually the roof rafters), then a section of flat ceiling made from collar ties. instead of insulating the knee wall, i'm insulating the rafter bays from the soffit up past the collar ties, and this is where i have questions.
the rafters are only 2x6, so i had planned on installing kraft-faced R-21 fiberglass insulation in the bays (with the facing towards the living area), then attaching 2" R-10 extruded polystyrene (XPS) foam board (held in place by strapping for the drywall), and taping all foam boards with aluminum tape.
the XPS has a perm rating of 1.1 - 1.4, so i'm not considering this a vapor retarder and don't believe it should present a "double vapor retarder" problem even when combined with the kraft-facing.
i'm assuming the kraft-facing will server as the true vapor retarder. i've read elsewhere on this site that the retarder should follow the "one third, two thirds rule: the VDR has one third of the cavity insulation to its warm side, two thirds to the cold side." so i think i should be all set with the R-21 fiberglass to the cold side and the R-10 XPS to the warm side.
if there are any comments or feedback on my plan - whether to let me know i'm headed in the right direction, or am way off base - it would be much appreciated.
Radiant barrier or foam board to fix cold floor abov...
rigid foam over SOLID wood exterior walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs