i live in new england, and i'm insulating a couple of second floor bedrooms, and would appreciate any advice on my proposed plan.
where i'm insulating, there's a small knee wall, then a short section of sloped ceiling (actually the roof rafters), then a section of flat ceiling made from collar ties. instead of insulating the knee wall, i'm insulating the rafter bays from the soffit up past the collar ties, and this is where i have questions.
the rafters are only 2x6, so i had planned on installing kraft-faced R-21 fiberglass insulation in the bays (with the facing towards the living area), then attaching 2" R-10 extruded polystyrene (XPS) foam board (held in place by strapping for the drywall), and taping all foam boards with aluminum tape.
the XPS has a perm rating of 1.1 - 1.4, so i'm not considering this a vapor retarder and don't believe it should present a "double vapor retarder" problem even when combined with the kraft-facing.
i'm assuming the kraft-facing will server as the true vapor retarder. i've read elsewhere on this site that the retarder should follow the "one third, two thirds rule: the VDR has one third of the cavity insulation to its warm side, two thirds to the cold side." so i think i should be all set with the R-21 fiberglass to the cold side and the R-10 XPS to the warm side.
if there are any comments or feedback on my plan - whether to let me know i'm headed in the right direction, or am way off base - it would be much appreciated.
Radiant barrier or foam board to fix cold floor abov...
rigid foam over SOLID wood exterior walls
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!