Name Type Save View
Message text/html Save
I have an unfinished attic space off an upstairs bedroom. The house is 1 1/2 story. The attic space rafters slope down to the front of the house. The floor is covered with plywood. The living room is under this attic space. Originally, there were only old batts in the rafters. I added batts to the wall of the bedroom. Then, I pryed up the plywood and added batts in the floor. Now, there is insulation on the bedroom wall and in the ceiling above the living room. The batts in the rafters are probably 40+ years old and seem to be deteriorating. There does not seem to be any type of rafter vent under the insulation. Now the questions:
1. Do the rafters need to be insulated since this area is not lived in?
2. If the rafters needs to be insulated, should I take out the old batts and replace with new batts? It does not appear that I can to the rafters. I would compress the batts.
Insulation in Bungalow with finished upstairs bedroom.
Improving insulation/ventilation in finished attic
Attic Ventilation--Sealing Rafter Baffles
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes