I have a 2,173 single story house built in 1973 just outside Los Angeles. Summer time temparature can go up to about 110. As we recently bought this house I don't really have complete Summer time data, but am starting to prepare for the coming Summer. The area that is of concern is the attic, which runs througout the house except for 2 areas (living and family room) that goes all the way to the roof. The only ventilation that is there is 2 gable vents (at the two ends of the house) that is about 2' x 1' each and 2 wind turbines.
I have put a remote termostat to monitor the attic temparature. For example, yesterday the outside temparature went up to about 75, by afternoon/early evening attic temparature was at about 100, even though the outside temparature is about 70. Inside temparature in the house stays pretty cool (upto about 72-76) until early evening when the A/C (set at 78) kicks in.
There is some insulation already. Already have solar power installed for power generation, but I am trying to be more energy efficient.
Could putting more ventilation help? I would assume that the attic temparature should be closer to the outside temparature if properly ventilated. There is no space to put soffit vents.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs