I have a 2,173 single story house built in 1973 just outside Los Angeles. Summer time temparature can go up to about 110. As we recently bought this house I don't really have complete Summer time data, but am starting to prepare for the coming Summer. The area that is of concern is the attic, which runs througout the house except for 2 areas (living and family room) that goes all the way to the roof. The only ventilation that is there is 2 gable vents (at the two ends of the house) that is about 2' x 1' each and 2 wind turbines.
I have put a remote termostat to monitor the attic temparature. For example, yesterday the outside temparature went up to about 75, by afternoon/early evening attic temparature was at about 100, even though the outside temparature is about 70. Inside temparature in the house stays pretty cool (upto about 72-76) until early evening when the A/C (set at 78) kicks in.
There is some insulation already. Already have solar power installed for power generation, but I am trying to be more energy efficient.
Could putting more ventilation help? I would assume that the attic temparature should be closer to the outside temparature if properly ventilated. There is no space to put soffit vents.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps