I have a 2,173 single story house built in 1973 just outside Los Angeles. Summer time temparature can go up to about 110. As we recently bought this house I don't really have complete Summer time data, but am starting to prepare for the coming Summer. The area that is of concern is the attic, which runs througout the house except for 2 areas (living and family room) that goes all the way to the roof. The only ventilation that is there is 2 gable vents (at the two ends of the house) that is about 2' x 1' each and 2 wind turbines.
I have put a remote termostat to monitor the attic temparature. For example, yesterday the outside temparature went up to about 75, by afternoon/early evening attic temparature was at about 100, even though the outside temparature is about 70. Inside temparature in the house stays pretty cool (upto about 72-76) until early evening when the A/C (set at 78) kicks in.
There is some insulation already. Already have solar power installed for power generation, but I am trying to be more energy efficient.
Could putting more ventilation help? I would assume that the attic temparature should be closer to the outside temparature if properly ventilated. There is no space to put soffit vents.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers