I have a 2,173 single story house built in 1973 just outside Los Angeles. Summer time temparature can go up to about 110. As we recently bought this house I don't really have complete Summer time data, but am starting to prepare for the coming Summer. The area that is of concern is the attic, which runs througout the house except for 2 areas (living and family room) that goes all the way to the roof. The only ventilation that is there is 2 gable vents (at the two ends of the house) that is about 2' x 1' each and 2 wind turbines.
I have put a remote termostat to monitor the attic temparature. For example, yesterday the outside temparature went up to about 75, by afternoon/early evening attic temparature was at about 100, even though the outside temparature is about 70. Inside temparature in the house stays pretty cool (upto about 72-76) until early evening when the A/C (set at 78) kicks in.
There is some insulation already. Already have solar power installed for power generation, but I am trying to be more energy efficient.
Could putting more ventilation help? I would assume that the attic temparature should be closer to the outside temparature if properly ventilated. There is no space to put soffit vents.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!