We're in the midst of a renovation on our 1959 brick rambler and have discovered that the original masonry walls had NO insulation whatsoever. (This certainly accounts for much of our frustration with heating and cooling the place.)
I'd like to insulate every exterior, uninsulated wall, but to sacrifice as little interior floor space as possible.
From some very superficial research, I've found a company called Plymouth Foam has some interesting options:
The one I found here is essentially a self-furring insulation product. Because it's self-furring, it saves our crew the effort of installing furring strips and/or creating traditional insulation cavities with 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 framing. It also comes in a variety of thicknesses, and I assume one of the advantages of this product is that it might save some floor space.
Another option, apparently, is to use steel furring channels... and I'm sure there are a million more options. Honestly, it's hard for me to evaluate what the best insulation (in the thinnest possible package) might be.
Do any of you have experience with this (or other) products that might solve our problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!