We're in the midst of a renovation on our 1959 brick rambler and have discovered that the original masonry walls had NO insulation whatsoever. (This certainly accounts for much of our frustration with heating and cooling the place.)
I'd like to insulate every exterior, uninsulated wall, but to sacrifice as little interior floor space as possible.
From some very superficial research, I've found a company called Plymouth Foam has some interesting options:
The one I found here is essentially a self-furring insulation product. Because it's self-furring, it saves our crew the effort of installing furring strips and/or creating traditional insulation cavities with 2 x 4 or 2 x 6 framing. It also comes in a variety of thicknesses, and I assume one of the advantages of this product is that it might save some floor space.
Another option, apparently, is to use steel furring channels... and I'm sure there are a million more options. Honestly, it's hard for me to evaluate what the best insulation (in the thinnest possible package) might be.
Do any of you have experience with this (or other) products that might solve our problem?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!