our new house was very abused, the doors inside had been ripped right out of the jams. I am wondering how to replace doors to the broken up and damaged jams. Can I take the existing jam out and replace the wood or do I just patch old jam and remount hinges elsewhere.
If you are reusing the old doors, then go to a Home Depot type store or lumber yard and purchase new door jambs. Some are even routed out to accept hinges. If the existing jams are that bad then use them for firewood. If cost is a factor you can remove the jams and turn them around. Do not reuse them in their existing condition or you will have more problems down the road.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight