I have a 6.5 HP craftsman rotary lawn mower. I added oil to the engine, but may have added more oil than was necessary. When I started there was white smoke coming from the muffler. I shut it off and drained some oil out of it. Now it does not start after repeated attempts.
What could be wrong and what can I do to fix it.
Hi. I had a similar problem once with my mower. There could be several reasons. Did you checkif your spark plug slipped off. If you tilted the mower to to its side, the engine oil could have flooded the air filter on the top. Try leaving in an airy sunny place to dry off. If its a very old mower like mine....you may have to pour oil and then let it sit and then drain several times to unclog old very thick oiland then finally fill a very small amount of engine oil around the mark of your dip stick. Filter may need changing if all these dont work. Mine worked without filter change. The lawn mower is a very resilient being .....dont give up. Mine is atleast 10 years old or more , second hand so God knows what else happened in its life, add to it that know one changed its oil for years!!!!
If your having white smoke emmiting from the muffler, it is probibly the extra oil you put in the crankcase. It got in there from turning the mower over the wrong way. You are supposed to turn it over with the carberator facing up. Just let it run with it smoking. The engine is self cleaning all the oil out of the carberator. Happy mowing
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!