We have a home built in 2000 with Semco double hung and casement windows and this is the poorest quality window I have ever seen. In the winter the condensation and frost on the inside is terrible. All the windows are rotting and have mold issue's in the winter. We live in Minnesota and our home was built by Mastercraft, would never replace with Semco!!
I am a consumer protection attorney working in Washington, DC and Maryland. My firm is investigating Semco windows. It would be helpful to our investigation if we could speak to anyone who has the windows installed in their home or business. If you are willing to have a brief conversation, I can be reached at (202) 789-3960 or by e-mail at [email protected] Thank you in advance for your consideration.
We had Semco windows installed in 1999 and so far have had 3 shatter. I just noticed the third one today. Asked the carpenter who installed them after the first one shattered, he said maybe our 100+ year old home is settling. Since then, 2 more have shattered. After finding the third one, my husband said it is probably the window, so I checked on-line. Anyone else have problems with shattering? I saw one person post that they had similar problem. We have also had problems with leakage--water pouring into our house when driving rain--I believe the contractor fixed it--after about 10 years.
Oh, yes--reading more posts. I posted previously about the 3 shattered windows. We also had all 3 storms (1999) rot out and fall apart. All need to be replaced. Thankfully we did not put Semco storms on all of our 30 windows--only did 3. Put Andersons on the rest, and they are holding up beautifully--unlike the rotted Semcos. When I called them all they told me is that they are not using that type of storm any longer--did not offer any credit on replacement storm or anything else.
Semco Windows Purchase
Replaced Semco windows
Semco windows: durable, easy to repair, easy to improve
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!