I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO REPLACE OLD WINDOWS IN A HOME BUILT IN 1963. WITHOUT GETTING A COMPANY TO DO IT FOR ME. THE WINDOWS IN LOWES ARE REALLY CHEAP, I DON'T WANT THE INSTALLATION TO BE VERY DIFFICULT. I HAD OWENS CORNING COME OUT AND GAVE ME AN ESTIMATE FOR THREE WINDOWS $2000.00 I AM NOT TRYING TO PAY THAT WHEN THE WINDOWS ARE ONLY $178 EACH FOR TWO AND $78.00 FOR THE OTHER. PLEASE HELP!
Go to the library and get a do-it-yourself book. Should have a chapter on window replacement. There are so many variables(type of siding, type of windows, etc.) to try to explain procedure to you here.
I can only give you an idea what we had to do and our home is about the same age. We have cedar siding on our home...the old windows were aluminum framed single pane windows. We cut the siding around each window and took them out that way. There are other ways to do it, but we did it that way for specific reasons that applied to our home. You will probably need at least one other person to help you get them in. If you do it yourself, do not nail or screw in the head...that means don't nail or screw in the top flange of the window. Depending on how many windows you have to replace...we had 9 windows, 1 sliding glass door, and 2 men...and it took a good 3 days to do. We were first timers and we accomplished the least in the first day. At the end of the second day, we had it down. Good Luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers