I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO REPLACE OLD WINDOWS IN A HOME BUILT IN 1963. WITHOUT GETTING A COMPANY TO DO IT FOR ME. THE WINDOWS IN LOWES ARE REALLY CHEAP, I DON'T WANT THE INSTALLATION TO BE VERY DIFFICULT. I HAD OWENS CORNING COME OUT AND GAVE ME AN ESTIMATE FOR THREE WINDOWS $2000.00 I AM NOT TRYING TO PAY THAT WHEN THE WINDOWS ARE ONLY $178 EACH FOR TWO AND $78.00 FOR THE OTHER. PLEASE HELP!
Go to the library and get a do-it-yourself book. Should have a chapter on window replacement. There are so many variables(type of siding, type of windows, etc.) to try to explain procedure to you here.
I can only give you an idea what we had to do and our home is about the same age. We have cedar siding on our home...the old windows were aluminum framed single pane windows. We cut the siding around each window and took them out that way. There are other ways to do it, but we did it that way for specific reasons that applied to our home. You will probably need at least one other person to help you get them in. If you do it yourself, do not nail or screw in the head...that means don't nail or screw in the top flange of the window. Depending on how many windows you have to replace...we had 9 windows, 1 sliding glass door, and 2 men...and it took a good 3 days to do. We were first timers and we accomplished the least in the first day. At the end of the second day, we had it down. Good Luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes