I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO REPLACE OLD WINDOWS IN A HOME BUILT IN 1963. WITHOUT GETTING A COMPANY TO DO IT FOR ME. THE WINDOWS IN LOWES ARE REALLY CHEAP, I DON'T WANT THE INSTALLATION TO BE VERY DIFFICULT. I HAD OWENS CORNING COME OUT AND GAVE ME AN ESTIMATE FOR THREE WINDOWS $2000.00 I AM NOT TRYING TO PAY THAT WHEN THE WINDOWS ARE ONLY $178 EACH FOR TWO AND $78.00 FOR THE OTHER. PLEASE HELP!
Go to the library and get a do-it-yourself book. Should have a chapter on window replacement. There are so many variables(type of siding, type of windows, etc.) to try to explain procedure to you here.
I can only give you an idea what we had to do and our home is about the same age. We have cedar siding on our home...the old windows were aluminum framed single pane windows. We cut the siding around each window and took them out that way. There are other ways to do it, but we did it that way for specific reasons that applied to our home. You will probably need at least one other person to help you get them in. If you do it yourself, do not nail or screw in the head...that means don't nail or screw in the top flange of the window. Depending on how many windows you have to replace...we had 9 windows, 1 sliding glass door, and 2 men...and it took a good 3 days to do. We were first timers and we accomplished the least in the first day. At the end of the second day, we had it down. Good Luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!