I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO REPLACE OLD WINDOWS IN A HOME BUILT IN 1963. WITHOUT GETTING A COMPANY TO DO IT FOR ME. THE WINDOWS IN LOWES ARE REALLY CHEAP, I DON'T WANT THE INSTALLATION TO BE VERY DIFFICULT. I HAD OWENS CORNING COME OUT AND GAVE ME AN ESTIMATE FOR THREE WINDOWS $2000.00 I AM NOT TRYING TO PAY THAT WHEN THE WINDOWS ARE ONLY $178 EACH FOR TWO AND $78.00 FOR THE OTHER. PLEASE HELP!
Go to the library and get a do-it-yourself book. Should have a chapter on window replacement. There are so many variables(type of siding, type of windows, etc.) to try to explain procedure to you here.
I can only give you an idea what we had to do and our home is about the same age. We have cedar siding on our home...the old windows were aluminum framed single pane windows. We cut the siding around each window and took them out that way. There are other ways to do it, but we did it that way for specific reasons that applied to our home. You will probably need at least one other person to help you get them in. If you do it yourself, do not nail or screw in the head...that means don't nail or screw in the top flange of the window. Depending on how many windows you have to replace...we had 9 windows, 1 sliding glass door, and 2 men...and it took a good 3 days to do. We were first timers and we accomplished the least in the first day. At the end of the second day, we had it down. Good Luck!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love