Help - my wood windows are rotting!
I can understand your frustration BUT the key to this problem is to find the CAUSE of the rot.
Is it from leaking/missing gutters? Is it from missing/loose caulking? Is the water running BEHIND the siding?
If it's just the window and/or frame that's rotting, the problem should be easily solvable. BUT, you have to find out the SOURCE of where the water is coming from. DON'T discount that it's running BEHIND the siding and 'showing up' at the window.
Once you've found the source/cause, I think that will tell you if what you do will have to be done in 7 years again. Your situation is IMO abnormal (unless you live in a wooden submarine ...)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J- Moderator
PS: You may consider 'capping' the wood but if the water is problem isn't solved, it may STILL rot the underlying wood! Again, fix the cause. THAT will be $$$ well spent!
As I understand it you have T & G siding that sounds to me that it is not flashed properly around the windows.
I you have the 908 casing, or brick molding, replaced, I would make sure I had the flashing replaced. This is not hard to do and should not cost that much extra.
Replacement windows will have to butt up against something on the outside of your house, what did the window company plan to do?
I would reflash and replace the casing and prime and paint the casing all in one job!
To Lintel or Not to Lintel!
How can I tell whether I can use direct replacement ...
My windows are stuck!
Aluminum Storm Windows
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs