Help - my wood windows are rotting!
I can understand your frustration BUT the key to this problem is to find the CAUSE of the rot.
Is it from leaking/missing gutters? Is it from missing/loose caulking? Is the water running BEHIND the siding?
If it's just the window and/or frame that's rotting, the problem should be easily solvable. BUT, you have to find out the SOURCE of where the water is coming from. DON'T discount that it's running BEHIND the siding and 'showing up' at the window.
Once you've found the source/cause, I think that will tell you if what you do will have to be done in 7 years again. Your situation is IMO abnormal (unless you live in a wooden submarine ...)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J- Moderator
PS: You may consider 'capping' the wood but if the water is problem isn't solved, it may STILL rot the underlying wood! Again, fix the cause. THAT will be $$$ well spent!
As I understand it you have T & G siding that sounds to me that it is not flashed properly around the windows.
I you have the 908 casing, or brick molding, replaced, I would make sure I had the flashing replaced. This is not hard to do and should not cost that much extra.
Replacement windows will have to butt up against something on the outside of your house, what did the window company plan to do?
I would reflash and replace the casing and prime and paint the casing all in one job!
To Lintel or Not to Lintel!
How can I tell whether I can use direct replacement ...
My windows are stuck!
Aluminum Storm Windows
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!