Help - my wood windows are rotting!
I can understand your frustration BUT the key to this problem is to find the CAUSE of the rot.
Is it from leaking/missing gutters? Is it from missing/loose caulking? Is the water running BEHIND the siding?
If it's just the window and/or frame that's rotting, the problem should be easily solvable. BUT, you have to find out the SOURCE of where the water is coming from. DON'T discount that it's running BEHIND the siding and 'showing up' at the window.
Once you've found the source/cause, I think that will tell you if what you do will have to be done in 7 years again. Your situation is IMO abnormal (unless you live in a wooden submarine ...)
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J- Moderator
PS: You may consider 'capping' the wood but if the water is problem isn't solved, it may STILL rot the underlying wood! Again, fix the cause. THAT will be $$$ well spent!
As I understand it you have T & G siding that sounds to me that it is not flashed properly around the windows.
I you have the 908 casing, or brick molding, replaced, I would make sure I had the flashing replaced. This is not hard to do and should not cost that much extra.
Replacement windows will have to butt up against something on the outside of your house, what did the window company plan to do?
I would reflash and replace the casing and prime and paint the casing all in one job!
To Lintel or Not to Lintel!
How can I tell whether I can use direct replacement ...
My windows are stuck!
Aluminum Storm Windows
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them