Easy, sort of.
You 'box' the archway forgetting about the arch part (for now.) Then, once you've got your WIDTH and HEIGHT all framed out, you cut your arch (on a jig-saw, or the like). You cut BOTH sides of the arch at one time (so you either mess them BOTH up at the same time, or you luck-out and cut them right at the same time.) You can nail them temporarily together until you're finished cutting them, makin sure you don't nail where you have to cut OR where they would get in the way of the saw.
Once you've got your sides cut (keeping your pairs together), cut a number of pieces of 2x4's that, when they're nailed BETWEEN each side, they're as wide as the arch! Use a piece of scrap wood to be sure you cut everything the right size. Once you've done that, you can use it as a template. Then, nail the 2 arches to the archway and buy some plastic/flexible corner bead, along w/some drywall, and finish the job!
If you have any particular ?'s, ask away. Just try to envision what's going on. (I kinda gave you the short version but I warned you it was 'Easy, kinda ...'
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees