Easy, sort of.
You 'box' the archway forgetting about the arch part (for now.) Then, once you've got your WIDTH and HEIGHT all framed out, you cut your arch (on a jig-saw, or the like). You cut BOTH sides of the arch at one time (so you either mess them BOTH up at the same time, or you luck-out and cut them right at the same time.) You can nail them temporarily together until you're finished cutting them, makin sure you don't nail where you have to cut OR where they would get in the way of the saw.
Once you've got your sides cut (keeping your pairs together), cut a number of pieces of 2x4's that, when they're nailed BETWEEN each side, they're as wide as the arch! Use a piece of scrap wood to be sure you cut everything the right size. Once you've done that, you can use it as a template. Then, nail the 2 arches to the archway and buy some plastic/flexible corner bead, along w/some drywall, and finish the job!
If you have any particular ?'s, ask away. Just try to envision what's going on. (I kinda gave you the short version but I warned you it was 'Easy, kinda ...'
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs