Easy, sort of.
You 'box' the archway forgetting about the arch part (for now.) Then, once you've got your WIDTH and HEIGHT all framed out, you cut your arch (on a jig-saw, or the like). You cut BOTH sides of the arch at one time (so you either mess them BOTH up at the same time, or you luck-out and cut them right at the same time.) You can nail them temporarily together until you're finished cutting them, makin sure you don't nail where you have to cut OR where they would get in the way of the saw.
Once you've got your sides cut (keeping your pairs together), cut a number of pieces of 2x4's that, when they're nailed BETWEEN each side, they're as wide as the arch! Use a piece of scrap wood to be sure you cut everything the right size. Once you've done that, you can use it as a template. Then, nail the 2 arches to the archway and buy some plastic/flexible corner bead, along w/some drywall, and finish the job!
If you have any particular ?'s, ask away. Just try to envision what's going on. (I kinda gave you the short version but I warned you it was 'Easy, kinda ...'
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!