All windows in house are aluminum double-glazed and are leaking (i.e. sweating)BETWEEN the glazing. Is there any fix without replacing all of them? I have 3 double crank-out, 3 single crank-out, and 4 sliding patio-type doors. House was built approx. 20 years ago. All windows are in very good shape except for the mess on the inside of them.
If the windows ever dry out, and are completely clean on the outside, you could try sealing the outer glass to the metal again with a product you can buy (don't know the name) at most hardware stores - made for that purpose. Read labels & make sure it's for glass to metal vs. wood.
This is called a seal failure, and is common in aluminum windows. You will need to find a glass company and get a quote on replacing all the insulating glass units. Then get a quote on new windows, might not be too much more, and vinyl windows would be a HUGE improvement to your current ones.
I can relate to this! We had a 4'x6' bay window that fogged up between the glass. I tried to find cracks in the seal around the perimeter and applied glue, but that didn't work. I finally gave in and spent the money to replace the window for $350, including 10 year warranty. We are so happy with our new window now and glad we spent the money. I recommend getting an estimate from your local glass company. They should be able to replace the glass but not the frame. Check it out... it may not be as expensive as you think and you could be very happy. TK
The validity of the “ice test” in testing the integr...
Help restoring old double hung windows.
double pane windows
Any way to further soundproof Existing Double pane w...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Essentials for the Perfect Modern Bath
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Furniture Makeovers: 10 Total DIY Do-Overs
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them