Sun and Views
I agree w/the previous post. You might want to consider skylights. 2 would be good. I'd put them on the North-side roof line; NOT the one that's on the South because of the sun/heat problems. If they're on the North side, you won't need shades although you can get them from some mfgrs. Consider the motorized skylights.
Also, be SURE your house has soffit vents, ridge vents, and soffit chutes to 'channel' cool air along the UNDERSIDE of your roof. This will help keep the house cool. You DON'T insulate a roof directly w/insulation. If you do, the roof will cook! You need the venting to keep the roof (AND the house) cool. Talk to your builder about this.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!