Sun and Views
I agree w/the previous post. You might want to consider skylights. 2 would be good. I'd put them on the North-side roof line; NOT the one that's on the South because of the sun/heat problems. If they're on the North side, you won't need shades although you can get them from some mfgrs. Consider the motorized skylights.
Also, be SURE your house has soffit vents, ridge vents, and soffit chutes to 'channel' cool air along the UNDERSIDE of your roof. This will help keep the house cool. You DON'T insulate a roof directly w/insulation. If you do, the roof will cook! You need the venting to keep the roof (AND the house) cool. Talk to your builder about this.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight