Has there been a change in standards since my house was built 11 years ago? All the doors in my house are 79" (tall) doors. All I can find now are 80" doors. I inquired about ordering a 79" door and they wouldn't garauntee the hinge cutouts would match the frame. So I asked if I could give them dimensions for the hinge cutouts and they said they would have to charge me a $250 tooling charge to setup the equipment to my dimensions. Then I asked if they could just put a fan light in the existing door.......NOT..... The door is a six panel door and they can't cut a half moon shape around the top two panels. I noticed they had two small windows that were made specifically for replacing the two top panels in a six panel door...price for installing two small windows in a door......$86. I'm thinking I could just buy the windows and install them myself. btw - I initially wanted to get a new door cause I installed a deadbolt and I goobered up the hole. I used a hole-saw kit that I purchased years ago and it wasn't meant to cut thru metal doors.
I suggest you start by measuring the locations of the hinges on the frame, then go to whoever in your area sells doors and measure one to see where the hinge cutouts are on those doors. If the measurements match from the top, buy the door and cut one inch off the bottom. If they match from the bottom, buy the door and cut one inch off the top.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 11 Homemade Sheds to Fill Your Storage Needs
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight