Has there been a change in standards since my house was built 11 years ago? All the doors in my house are 79" (tall) doors. All I can find now are 80" doors. I inquired about ordering a 79" door and they wouldn't garauntee the hinge cutouts would match the frame. So I asked if I could give them dimensions for the hinge cutouts and they said they would have to charge me a $250 tooling charge to setup the equipment to my dimensions. Then I asked if they could just put a fan light in the existing door.......NOT..... The door is a six panel door and they can't cut a half moon shape around the top two panels. I noticed they had two small windows that were made specifically for replacing the two top panels in a six panel door...price for installing two small windows in a door......$86. I'm thinking I could just buy the windows and install them myself. btw - I initially wanted to get a new door cause I installed a deadbolt and I goobered up the hole. I used a hole-saw kit that I purchased years ago and it wasn't meant to cut thru metal doors.
I suggest you start by measuring the locations of the hinges on the frame, then go to whoever in your area sells doors and measure one to see where the hinge cutouts are on those doors. If the measurements match from the top, buy the door and cut one inch off the bottom. If they match from the bottom, buy the door and cut one inch off the top.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes