Has there been a change in standards since my house was built 11 years ago? All the doors in my house are 79" (tall) doors. All I can find now are 80" doors. I inquired about ordering a 79" door and they wouldn't garauntee the hinge cutouts would match the frame. So I asked if I could give them dimensions for the hinge cutouts and they said they would have to charge me a $250 tooling charge to setup the equipment to my dimensions. Then I asked if they could just put a fan light in the existing door.......NOT..... The door is a six panel door and they can't cut a half moon shape around the top two panels. I noticed they had two small windows that were made specifically for replacing the two top panels in a six panel door...price for installing two small windows in a door......$86. I'm thinking I could just buy the windows and install them myself. btw - I initially wanted to get a new door cause I installed a deadbolt and I goobered up the hole. I used a hole-saw kit that I purchased years ago and it wasn't meant to cut thru metal doors.
I suggest you start by measuring the locations of the hinges on the frame, then go to whoever in your area sells doors and measure one to see where the hinge cutouts are on those doors. If the measurements match from the top, buy the door and cut one inch off the bottom. If they match from the bottom, buy the door and cut one inch off the top.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!