I need help with a wet basement. I recently took possession of a house built in 1971. The basement is wet from both condensation part leaking. The wooded backyard slants downhill toward the house and the gutters are clogged (I am cleaning those, don't worry). The last few weeks have had high humidity and the basement has that musty smell.
I am in the process of building a swale with drainage tubing underneath it about 10-15 feet from the house. I have perforatted tubing (4 inch). The perforations are on all sides. How does this help the water drain away? Wouldn't the water simply fall out of the bottom of the pipe? (I could only find fully perforated, or no perforations.)
I have landscape fabric to put over the tube and gravel, but can get the sock things. Is either better? Why? Most books indicate 1-4 inches of gravel below the tubing. Again, how does that help the tube drain away the water? Why not put the tube at the bottom of ditch, cover it with some gravel and top off with an inch or two of topsoil?
Digging out around the foundation of the house is too big a job (underground oil tank, deck, air conditioner, and other things in the way). So, I plan on making the ground slope away from the house (~2" per foot) covering the ground (from the house to the end of the swale with 6 mil plastic, a layer of gravel, landscape fabric and some topsoil. (I saw a similar set up in a few books). Does this sound reasonable? Does it sound like a bad idea? Any suggestions to improve it?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight