self opening door
Please don't take this the wrong way but, short of using a door stop, you will drive
Break the hinges??
Am I missing something, or is this a DESIGN issue with interior doors?
Sorry for the caps, but I can tell you about the people who built the house
"a DESIGN issue with interior doors"
will never be fixed in this post. The poster just wants a way to deal with this particular door. Got any ideas?
Just a way to fix this particular door...
My daughter prefers to leave the door partway open, but it just swings all the way open. As near as I can tell with the levels that I have, it's not aligned wrong. It just keeps going once it's unlatched. I know that doors can stay part way open since every other door in the house will do that.
Thanks for your input.
You can use almost anything for a shim.
I think I would shim the door jam by loosening the screws at the jam, closest to the door, and then, starting with something small, insert a wedges untill the door acts the way you want it to.
Remember to keep checking to make sure the door closes properly.
Set the level on the edge of the door and check for plumb(vertical) in both the open and nearly closed position........a door that always swings will be out in at least one direction............Understanding/Seeing what's wrong is the hardest part............
Now either shim the "low" hinge or chisel the mortise in the frame for the "high" hinge to correct the problem............
Before attempting any of these adjustments make sure all the hinge screws are tight in both the door and the frame............
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs