self opening door
Please don't take this the wrong way but, short of using a door stop, you will drive
Break the hinges??
Am I missing something, or is this a DESIGN issue with interior doors?
Sorry for the caps, but I can tell you about the people who built the house
"a DESIGN issue with interior doors"
will never be fixed in this post. The poster just wants a way to deal with this particular door. Got any ideas?
Just a way to fix this particular door...
My daughter prefers to leave the door partway open, but it just swings all the way open. As near as I can tell with the levels that I have, it's not aligned wrong. It just keeps going once it's unlatched. I know that doors can stay part way open since every other door in the house will do that.
Thanks for your input.
You can use almost anything for a shim.
I think I would shim the door jam by loosening the screws at the jam, closest to the door, and then, starting with something small, insert a wedges untill the door acts the way you want it to.
Remember to keep checking to make sure the door closes properly.
Set the level on the edge of the door and check for plumb(vertical) in both the open and nearly closed position........a door that always swings will be out in at least one direction............Understanding/Seeing what's wrong is the hardest part............
Now either shim the "low" hinge or chisel the mortise in the frame for the "high" hinge to correct the problem............
Before attempting any of these adjustments make sure all the hinge screws are tight in both the door and the frame............
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees