[This message has been edited by boilrman (edited February 01, 2003).]
Norco is an excellent window manufacturer. Not in the top three but definitley top grade consumer product at a good price with nice options like the one mentioned.
Only place I would use a Norco window is on a shed. jmho
To consider someone a "nerd" to use unbiased reporting of how a product does to standardized testing, shows me you need to grow up.
Offer your opinion, but you dont need to criticize others for trying to get the best deal they can. It all comes down to research. When you find what it is you are happy with, go for it. As long as the buyer is happy nobody elses opinion matters.
Another indicator is the warrantee backup by the company that produces them. Any manufacturer can have some bad windows go to market just as any contrator can make a mistake building something or installing a product. The true measure is in how they deal with customer satisfaction re repair and replacement in the long run. That is real world experience.
I have no idea how Norco stacks up in the consumer reports, but I know from experience using them on four homes I've built or remodeled that they do make a good unit and that they stand behind it.
I've also known many people who are disappointed with their decisions on products because they based those decisions primarily on Consumer's Reports articles and testing which is only a third of the information they need. It is only a beginning.
And I have read some of their reports on other products where it was obvious that the way the tests were structured was to give advantage to certain types of items. Now, with windows, there is already industry standardized testing that all manufacturers submit to. Are you suggesting that CR has their own testing procedure? That would be specialized and not standardized. Who decides what to test for and how to do that test? The editors of a magazine or wiondow installers? editors go back to the office to work on something else next week. Professional window installers go back to jobs all year long and get to see what works and what doesn't.
By my objective evaluation, that makes the editors of CR nerds in comparison.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps