Can you attach a screen door with outside hinges on the outside of the doorframe? My son says no but I just want to be sure he doesn't have to go though more work than necessary.
Just two days ago, I installed a new screen door with hinges mortised—just as you install a "normal" door. I bought the screen door at Lowe's, and it came with instructions to install the hinges either on the outside or "inside" (mortised). The hinges that came with the door were the modern style with square corners. They were not the style one might ordinarily associate with the classic screen door. The shape of such hinges does not permit installing them with mortises. I suspect your son is thinking of those classic screen door hinges. I'm sure you can find hinges that will allow a mortised installation—the new door may even come with them.
How to remove screen from Forever Door screen door
should I paint my security screen door?
Sliding screen door tracks
Storm Door Problem
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight