I own a brick house that was built in the 1920's. The brick is extremely dirty, and the mortar is so weak it blows out when I spray it with a regular hose, let alone a pressure washer. I'm in the process of repointing the entire house with new mortar, and then cleaning the brick using Diedrich 101 cleaner.
I've completed 2 sides so far, and after cleaning the brick I've found that the original color of the brick is more on the orange side rather than red. I wasn't planning on sealing the brick after cleaning it, but now that I'm seeing how light the color is, I'm thinking I may want to apply some type of sealer that will darken the color a bit.
I want to apply a product that will still allow the brick to breath, but, unlike the mainstream thinking, I actually want the product to change the original color darker instead of something that won't change it.
Any suggestions on what to use?
Attached is a picture of a side that has been cleaned and one that hasn't. The color of the clean brick is a little lighter than what the picture shows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes