I own a brick house that was built in the 1920's. The brick is extremely dirty, and the mortar is so weak it blows out when I spray it with a regular hose, let alone a pressure washer. I'm in the process of repointing the entire house with new mortar, and then cleaning the brick using Diedrich 101 cleaner.
I've completed 2 sides so far, and after cleaning the brick I've found that the original color of the brick is more on the orange side rather than red. I wasn't planning on sealing the brick after cleaning it, but now that I'm seeing how light the color is, I'm thinking I may want to apply some type of sealer that will darken the color a bit.
I want to apply a product that will still allow the brick to breath, but, unlike the mainstream thinking, I actually want the product to change the original color darker instead of something that won't change it.
Any suggestions on what to use?
Attached is a picture of a side that has been cleaned and one that hasn't. The color of the clean brick is a little lighter than what the picture shows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees