I own a brick house that was built in the 1920's. The brick is extremely dirty, and the mortar is so weak it blows out when I spray it with a regular hose, let alone a pressure washer. I'm in the process of repointing the entire house with new mortar, and then cleaning the brick using Diedrich 101 cleaner.
I've completed 2 sides so far, and after cleaning the brick I've found that the original color of the brick is more on the orange side rather than red. I wasn't planning on sealing the brick after cleaning it, but now that I'm seeing how light the color is, I'm thinking I may want to apply some type of sealer that will darken the color a bit.
I want to apply a product that will still allow the brick to breath, but, unlike the mainstream thinking, I actually want the product to change the original color darker instead of something that won't change it.
Any suggestions on what to use?
Attached is a picture of a side that has been cleaned and one that hasn't. The color of the clean brick is a little lighter than what the picture shows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs