I own a brick house that was built in the 1920's. The brick is extremely dirty, and the mortar is so weak it blows out when I spray it with a regular hose, let alone a pressure washer. I'm in the process of repointing the entire house with new mortar, and then cleaning the brick using Diedrich 101 cleaner.
I've completed 2 sides so far, and after cleaning the brick I've found that the original color of the brick is more on the orange side rather than red. I wasn't planning on sealing the brick after cleaning it, but now that I'm seeing how light the color is, I'm thinking I may want to apply some type of sealer that will darken the color a bit.
I want to apply a product that will still allow the brick to breath, but, unlike the mainstream thinking, I actually want the product to change the original color darker instead of something that won't change it.
Any suggestions on what to use?
Attached is a picture of a side that has been cleaned and one that hasn't. The color of the clean brick is a little lighter than what the picture shows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 10 Amazing Homes Made from Shipping Containers
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- Natural Swimming Pools: 10 Reasons to Jump In
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Quick Tips for Tackling 10 Clutter Hot Spots
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 15 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 11 Creative Ways to Reuse Cardboard Boxes
- DIY Organization: 10 Cheap and Easy Ideas
- 15 Easy Steps to a Dust-Free Home
- 5 Common Lawn Problems—and How to Fix Them