I own a brick house that was built in the 1920's. The brick is extremely dirty, and the mortar is so weak it blows out when I spray it with a regular hose, let alone a pressure washer. I'm in the process of repointing the entire house with new mortar, and then cleaning the brick using Diedrich 101 cleaner.
I've completed 2 sides so far, and after cleaning the brick I've found that the original color of the brick is more on the orange side rather than red. I wasn't planning on sealing the brick after cleaning it, but now that I'm seeing how light the color is, I'm thinking I may want to apply some type of sealer that will darken the color a bit.
I want to apply a product that will still allow the brick to breath, but, unlike the mainstream thinking, I actually want the product to change the original color darker instead of something that won't change it.
Any suggestions on what to use?
Attached is a picture of a side that has been cleaned and one that hasn't. The color of the clean brick is a little lighter than what the picture shows.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps