I have 4 window wells around the outside of my 80 year old brick house in Rockaway Beach, NY. Recently, I noticed that after heavy rains, the window wells have been filling with 8 to 12 inches of rain water, and the water just sits there.
I started to clean out all of the mud, dirt, etc. from the wells and noticed after 12 or so inches below the bottom of the window, it appears to be just sand. I do not have the original specs on the house since its so old, so I have no idea if there is a drain down there somewhere? Also, I was considering just buying window well covers, which would divert the water away from the wells, but I know that's just a temporary solution and still not solve the problem why the well is not draining.
Any help is appreciated.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers