I have a 2x6 knee wall under a 2 story addition we recently added to my house. The knee wall is 3 feet high around the perimeter and carries the floor joists. We built the knee wall out of regular 2x6 wood, not p.t.. We covered the outside with cement board, which I stuccoed to make look like real foundation. The inside of the cement board gets condensation and the condensation drips down onto the sill of the knee wall and I am afraid it will eventually rot the sill and knee wall. The condensation seems to occur only on the coldest months of the year.
I know that there are numerous things we could have done better when building this knee wall, but I am looking at options other than tearing out the cement board and then doing it correctly with plywood, tyvek, and a drainage spacer. I was wondering if I coat the inside of the knee wall with a tar paint if that would seal the wood and the cement board and prevent any rotting issues. If I did this would it smell? Any ideas?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!