I am going to have vinyl windows installed in my home.
I have been told that the windows can be installed by a retrofit method (the old frame stays in), a pull frame method (the frame is removed without stucco damage) and a new construction method (the stucco around the window is removed). I am leaning towards the retrofit method but I am concerned that the existing aluminum frames will continue to sweat and mold will continue to grow on the frames.
What are the pros and cons of these installation methods?
I would remove the old frame to lessen the chance of aluminum attracting moisture. Removing the frame will also permit a bigger window (less frame)which will fill the hole better. Look around in your neighborhood and you will see what i am talking about. If you see vinyl windows with a heavy thick frame, it is probably because it has a big fin to cover the old frame. Good Luck !
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!