I recently purchased a 1950's house and I want to install a ceiling fan in the bedroom where there was a light fixture.
The attached photo is the view of the fixture removed from the bedroom and the wiring exposed. I'm a novice with wiring, but it struck me as odd that there appears to be a white neutral bundled together with some hot wires.
Question: Is there ever a reason to connect a neutral to a bundle of live wires, or was this a mistake by someone? Does this photo raise any other safety/red flags?