Hi - I'm painting a bunk bed that I purchased from ikea that's solid pine and unfinished. Do I still need to sand and prime if it is unfinished wood and I'm painting white?
Thanks in advance!
- Forum >
- Painting >
- Painting furniture - do I need to sand and prime if painting unfinished solid pine?
I'm not very experienced, but I once painted an Ikea pine chest. I lightly sanded then primed it, then sanded lightly again before the final coat of a latex semigloss paint. I ended up having to paint three coats before it looked good. However, the paint remained tacky for a really long time. I think I should have used an oil-based paint.
Sand it, wipe it off with a damp towel to remove all debris, put a coat of primer (I like kilz) and allow it to dry. Sand it with a very fine grit to get the bubbles smooth, wipe it off again, touch up any places where the primer didn't cover the wood and let it dry. Apply an enamel paint in a thin coat. Dry for 12 hours at least, sand with fine grit sandpaper, wipe it off with damp towel, let it dry. Apply an additional coat. Dry for 12 hours at least, sand, wipe it off and do touch ups. If you use cheaper paint, you'll require more coats and more work. The enamel will dry hard but it takes a few days to cure completely. We applied this to both a loft bed that we built from scratch and a chest of drawers that was finished but was the wrong color (for that I had to scuff the finish and then kilz it). Neither have nicks in them a year later and they're both in a kid's room.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!