Hi - I'm painting a bunk bed that I purchased from ikea that's solid pine and unfinished. Do I still need to sand and prime if it is unfinished wood and I'm painting white?
Thanks in advance!
- Forum >
- Painting >
- Painting furniture - do I need to sand and prime if painting unfinished solid pine?
I'm not very experienced, but I once painted an Ikea pine chest. I lightly sanded then primed it, then sanded lightly again before the final coat of a latex semigloss paint. I ended up having to paint three coats before it looked good. However, the paint remained tacky for a really long time. I think I should have used an oil-based paint.
Sand it, wipe it off with a damp towel to remove all debris, put a coat of primer (I like kilz) and allow it to dry. Sand it with a very fine grit to get the bubbles smooth, wipe it off again, touch up any places where the primer didn't cover the wood and let it dry. Apply an enamel paint in a thin coat. Dry for 12 hours at least, sand with fine grit sandpaper, wipe it off with damp towel, let it dry. Apply an additional coat. Dry for 12 hours at least, sand, wipe it off and do touch ups. If you use cheaper paint, you'll require more coats and more work. The enamel will dry hard but it takes a few days to cure completely. We applied this to both a loft bed that we built from scratch and a chest of drawers that was finished but was the wrong color (for that I had to scuff the finish and then kilz it). Neither have nicks in them a year later and they're both in a kid's room.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers