Hi. I'm wondering if I have done anything wrong in dealing with contractors.
I have a house I want to knock down and rebuild. I am talking to two contractors about it. Neither of them knows I'm talking to the other.
Each contractor has come up with a design for the new house, i.e. a computer drawing of where the rooms will be on each floor. I've gone through a few iterations with each contractor on their design.
Neither contractor has asked me to sign or commit to anything. Yet they have spent several hours working on these designs and meeting with me. At some point, I'm going to have to tell one of them "thanks, but I'm going to use someone else."
Will that contractor have good reason to be annoyed with me, or is this standard procedure (drawing up a house design on spec, with no guarantee of getting the job)?
Hmm a tricky situation - of course you are right to shop around but you have to be considerate of the work that has been put in. Have you got explicit reassurance from the contractors that the current work all falls under the heading of a 'free quote'? In my experience whenever you're in the stage of planning a project and selecting contractors, it's actually beneficial to tell them that you are still considering your options. It can sometimes result in them giving you a more competitive quote.
Contractor Discount vs. DYI - Oak Trim
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
Malibu Remodel contractor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps