Hi. I'm wondering if I have done anything wrong in dealing with contractors.
I have a house I want to knock down and rebuild. I am talking to two contractors about it. Neither of them knows I'm talking to the other.
Each contractor has come up with a design for the new house, i.e. a computer drawing of where the rooms will be on each floor. I've gone through a few iterations with each contractor on their design.
Neither contractor has asked me to sign or commit to anything. Yet they have spent several hours working on these designs and meeting with me. At some point, I'm going to have to tell one of them "thanks, but I'm going to use someone else."
Will that contractor have good reason to be annoyed with me, or is this standard procedure (drawing up a house design on spec, with no guarantee of getting the job)?
Hmm a tricky situation - of course you are right to shop around but you have to be considerate of the work that has been put in. Have you got explicit reassurance from the contractors that the current work all falls under the heading of a 'free quote'? In my experience whenever you're in the stage of planning a project and selecting contractors, it's actually beneficial to tell them that you are still considering your options. It can sometimes result in them giving you a more competitive quote.
Contractor Discount vs. DYI - Oak Trim
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
Malibu Remodel contractor
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING