Hi. I'm wondering if I have done anything wrong in dealing with contractors.
I have a house I want to knock down and rebuild. I am talking to two contractors about it. Neither of them knows I'm talking to the other.
Each contractor has come up with a design for the new house, i.e. a computer drawing of where the rooms will be on each floor. I've gone through a few iterations with each contractor on their design.
Neither contractor has asked me to sign or commit to anything. Yet they have spent several hours working on these designs and meeting with me. At some point, I'm going to have to tell one of them "thanks, but I'm going to use someone else."
Will that contractor have good reason to be annoyed with me, or is this standard procedure (drawing up a house design on spec, with no guarantee of getting the job)?
Hmm a tricky situation - of course you are right to shop around but you have to be considerate of the work that has been put in. Have you got explicit reassurance from the contractors that the current work all falls under the heading of a 'free quote'? In my experience whenever you're in the stage of planning a project and selecting contractors, it's actually beneficial to tell them that you are still considering your options. It can sometimes result in them giving you a more competitive quote.
Contractor Discount vs. DYI - Oak Trim
Victim of contractor fraud, Mount Vernon, Wa 98274
Malibu Remodel contractor
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!